Saturday, March 10, 2012

15 hours off the vent

Evan is still doing so well with the weaning off the ventilator- we're at 15 hours as of yesterday, and if we continue to do well, we'll see him at 18 hours by the 15th. 
I still have my fingers crossed.  Although we're just about a week from seeing him POSSIBLY coming off the ventilator entirely, I find myself trying not to get excited.  It's a matter of not expecting too much because I don't want to be disappointed. 

Still, I would be remiss if I didn't at least PLAN for the best- If we get to 18 hours on the 15th, we'll try 24 hours two days after.  If he does well at 24 hours, we will keep him off the ventilator and monitor him to make sure he's still doing well every day. 
IF all goes well, we will continue on for a week or possibly two off the ventilator, and we'll see Evan coming home by March 31st. 

We will be rooming in twice for 48 hours each time.  I have his pediatrician picked out, and a home health care provider chosen to receive nursing care for Evan. 

Monday, we're scheduled to have Evan's doctor to look at his upper airway- it's a standard thing because he has a trach, and as the doctor explained to me, scar tissue can develop in his airway making it more difficult for him to breathe without the trach.  The scar tissue can be removed, close to the time we're looking at removing the trach...... which MIGHT be this summer.  :-)  If it's gone before his 1st birthday, I'm going to be one happy momma. 

Honestly, though, we'll just be glad for him to be home, under any circumstances. 





No comments:

Post a Comment