Friday, June 29, 2012

Speech therapy

We get every other therapy- occupational therapy, physical therapy.... But we keep striking out with speech therapy!
In addition to the frustration of having a child who is.... Let's call it temperamental? Yes. Having a child that is temperamental about eating orally in the first place, I also have to deal with the fact that the clinic we go to for every other therapy can't seem to get him on speech therapy because of insurance.
So we went to the clinic at Baylor on Dallas.
4 1/2 hours later, we're no better or wiser as to what to do in order to get Evan to eat.

And you know, I'm not even THAT frustrated about that aspect.
What I am frustrated with is the therapists remarking not once, but twice how "different" he was.

Yep. Believe it or not, but after 8 months in the hospital, and almost 3 months home working my butt off trying to get him where he is at currently, I am aware my son is different from other babies his age. I don't need a running commentary.
I'm sorry that it is surprising to you, even though you are working in a profession that SPECIFICALLY deals with "different" children. Heck, I even was required to fill out 20 pages of questions regarding his differences a month prior to this appointment.

Let's put that aside, and discuss how you stating how different he is made me feel. Obviously, it irked me, because I've been dwelling on it for the past 5 hours.
But beyond that, it instantly makes me worry that somehow MY son is so much different from your usual "different" children that you feel the need to remark on it twice.
I resent that worry.
I have enough on my plate. I don't need to worry unnecessarily.
If you have a major concern about something I haven't already mentioned about his myriad of conditions and delays, please say it clearly.
If you have an ill-defined hunch that something is wrong beyond what I know, please feel free to examine him further, ask questions, etc. If you fail to confirm any suspicions, keep that vague hunch to yourself until we know more. But don't just spout off a general "he's different" with no further explanation.

Whew. Good to have that off my chest.

So, after all that.... Evan's doing fabulous. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's good to vent....not ALL the time...but sometime...yeah, baby!

    As you so aptly put it with one of the other MOO mom's...they ARE, after all, PRACTICING medicine! I know it is very frustrating, sweetie, but try to not allow it to steal your peace...or the JOY both you and Evan are feeling at the CONTINUED progress...that you are making (without outside "assistance"...I might add!)
    We love you, and think you and Carl are doing a great job! Evan IS making progress...he will continue to do so....as meal times are made relaxed and pleasant....he'll IMITATE what he sees Mom and Dad doing <3
    These folks were just not used to dealing with anyone with the types of problems that Evan has had. His eating difficulties are not caused by the omphalocele, but the treatment needed due to his lung involvement after the repair of the omphalocele. He has had many delays...but they just that....DELAYS...not a permanent state of being. Evan will come through just fine. He'll eventually "catch-up"...meanwhile, just TRY to not allow the comments or attitudes of others cause you any more stress. I love you! Kiss my grandson...and sing him the "Nana loves Evan" song...;-)

    ReplyDelete