Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The problem with social networks is....


I have a love/hate relationship with social networks.  
I love them because they do help me stay connected with people I like and find support for rare things like a child with an Omphalocele.  Support groups and shared stories have made the difference for so many people out there. 

I really, truly hate social networks because they become a popularity contest for many people. Or even better, they become an unhealthy outlet for terribly unhappy people, who feel the need to say ugly and hurtful things in order to get a reaction. 

Unfortunately, these two collide more than they should. 

I can't help but imagine a day in the life of someone who puts so much effort into APPEARING perfect and put together all the time, or at least for their friends on Facebook. It boggles my mind the energy they invest in getting JUST the right photo posted of their kids (carefully groomed, posed and consequently unhappy) , or their home (seriously did you put those flowers in the glass vase out just for that photo, because I can't imagine a small child leaving that alone), or a video their pets doing something that took HOURS to teach. 
Consider my brain boggled. 

Because I am so terribly imperfect. I'm not going to represent myself as otherwise. 
Through the years I've been criticized for being a little too honest at times- I just can't shake this bad habit.  

My house is an utter mess, no makeup has graced my face in weeks, a tank top, flip flops and maternity pants qualify as "getting dressed", and my child doesn't even understand the notion of "posing". 
I'm cool with that.  Because what's more important?  Spending hours on the appearance of having everything put together, or investing that time in being a parent? 


It's a tough job to do, but the benefits are pretty awesome when you take the time for them. 


1 comment: