Friday, November 23, 2012

16 months

When you have a kiddo like Evan, there are milestones, and then there are special days.
Lately, I have been remembering where we were a year ago. Last Thanksgiving, we had just moved him from the NICU to the Transitional Care Unit, and his Grandma Storey got to see him for the second time.
One special day coming up is his 16 month mark on the 30th of this month. Most everyone that has kids use 18 months as a celebratory time- yay a year and a half! But 16 months is particularly special to me because it marks 8 months since we got discharged. He spent 8 months in the hospital. So this is the beginning of the time that he has spent more time at home with us than in the hospital. :-)

And it couldn't come at a better time. Thanksgiving was a great success. We have our Christmas tree up, and I am singing carols loudly and off-key.

Ever since I found out I was pregnant with Evan, I started planning the things we would do for Christmas. It is incredibly important for me to instill a sense of fun and wonder in the holidays for my child .... soon to be children. Because I grew up without Christmas, and I gotta say it wasn't fun during this time of year. It wasn't all about the lack of presents. I really loved the lights and the music, and the celebratory mood. Good food, seeing family, having a tree lit up and watching Christmas specials on TV...
I want my kids to see all those great things that so many people take for granted during the holidays.

So if you see me sometime this month in public skipping merrily along, singing the only words I know to "Jingle Bells" at the top of my lungs- please excuse my excessive Christmas spirit. :-) Its all for a good cause.







1 comment:

  1. So glad that Evan is doing so well, and has made some pretty AWESOME progress since being home! Yeah...I can see where 16 months would hold a special place for you!
    Sorry you feel you were deprived because we didn't celebrate Christmas when you were a kid. For the record...you always got new stuff...it just wasn't wrapped, or under a Christmas tree. :-(
    Glad the little one is moving and you are feeling it.

    ReplyDelete