Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Evan has a cool room

Most mommas have their child's room ready and waiting for them well before they're born.

Carl and I had been planning on moving to a two bedroom home or apartment shortly before or after he was born, so ALL his stuff was still safely tucked away in our closet, living room, dining room, etc.

And we didn't move until later because we were so busy trying to adjust to the hectic schedule of having a NICU baby and never being home.

So when we finally moved in December, I was excited to start getting not only the necessary things, but the fun little decorations that makes a kid's room fun.

I got all kinds of monkey and jungle decals to put on the walls, curtains, bedding set.... And I've slowly been putting it together.

It's been a slow process because, quite frankly, I STILL don't have much time on my hands. And I have been reluctant to have a beautiful room sitting and waiting for Evan, when we have had no clue when he'll be home. It's hard to go into his room and try to imagine him there. Carl and I "joke" (somewhat bitterly) that we'll need to convert the bed to a full size, and give Evan the keys to my car so he can drive himself home by the time he's released from the hospital.

But now the nurses and doctors are talking home. I spoke to Evan's doc yesterday about the time frame, and he said mid to late March.
Now, let's remember that this is the same doctor that told me a month ago "4 weeks maximum" to wean Evan from the ventilator. Now he's telling me later. So, you all will excuse me if I take his words with a grain of salt.

But to be told a DATE...... Wow. So I sucked up my anxious feelings about being in Evan's room and set about decorating.

We're still waiting on the gilder/rocker, which is set to be delivered shortly, and we have to set up the "practical" storage area- where his toys will go and all his medical supplies. I also still need to get a dry-erase board so I can write down his weekly schedule- you know, doc appointments, weekly trach changes, etc.

I'm starting to get a little excited. Carl and I will be doing trach CPR training this weekend.
Hopefully that's a big indicator that this time we're finally going to be coming home. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Love the room decorations! Just needs an "Evan" to set it all off! ;-)
    I think I'd be putting "pressure" on Dr. Hadeed...as long as evan shows signs of being ready...of course! Talk with the head nurse if you can't seem to make head-way with the Doctor. (Just suggestions, of course!) Use your own internal "Mommy sense"...to let you know when it's TIME! Love you all...looking forward to Evan being HOME! <3

    ReplyDelete