Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So how is Evan doing, anyway?

I've thought about doing a retrospective over the course of a few days, just to have a synopsis of the past 5 1/2 months. 
And I really want to do this, when I get the time. 
In the meantime, I'll just update Evan's current progress for those that have been following him lately.

Today, we will begin a different dressing for Evan's wound, since it has healed enough.  No more ace bandage!  Which is a big deal, because my little guy really loves being "naked".  When we unwrap him in the evenings for his bath, he loves getting his sides rubbed, and he pouts severely when we finish with the bath and re-wrap him. I will post a picture later showing how his wound looks lately.

We will be scheduling another surgery soon to place a g-button- he still has feeding issues orally, but we're hoping taking out the NG tube will help him overcome his oral aversion.

After that, it's all about weaning him off the LTV, otherwise known as the "home ventilator".
The pulmonologist really thinks that we're close to getting him off the ventilator entirely.

Evan's generally a happy baby these days, with lots of smiles when we play. His favorite games include Carl and I grabbing his tongue when he sticks it out, and playing on his piano playmat. For some reason, the tongue thing totally cracks Evan up, and he kicks and giggles (though we can't hear it)... Which of course gets US to laughing, which seems to crack Evan up more. I like it that he has a sense of humor after all he's been through.




1 comment:

  1. Love it that he gets that ace bandage off...that'll make him more comfortable. Good news that he's getting to play alot and that he will soon be off the vent! He's gonna LOVE the freedom to be picked up as needed without all the vent tubing and monitors. (I am assuming that the monitors can go as soon as the vent is off)
    I hate that he has to go through another surgery to place the g-button, but if it gets rid of the N/G tube, I guess he'll like that alot better, too.
    Be sure and kiss my grandson frequently...(and tell him it's from Nana...:-) We'll see y'all this weekend! Hugs, kisses and snuggles to Evan! :-)

    ReplyDelete