Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hernia repair

Yesterday was indeed a BUSY day!

I woke up at 4:30 AM, and began to get things ready for our visit to the hospital. We had to be there at 7, and surgery would start at 9 AM.

After getting myself ready, and packing up everything I could for Evan, I woke him up to get his g-button care done, give a breathing treatment, get him dressed, etc. I also got some good snuggles, because those are pretty essential.
We left at 6:20, and arrived to check in. I had completed all the paperwork and his vitals at our visit the day before, so there wasn't much to do but get a gown on him and wait. At least we snuggled some more, and he enjoyed flirting with the nurses.

At 9:00, they gave him the "goofy juice" to knock him out so the could give him the IV. I reluctantly let him go back to the OR, and made my way to the surgery waiting area.

A few hours and updates later, at 12:15, I was finally able to see my boy again in the recovery area. The surgeon had updated me earlier, letting me know that his hernia repair was taking longer because as suspected, he had another small/medium inguinal hernia on the right side, in addition to the large one on his left. The left side also was larger than anticipated, and the intestines had adhered to the abdominal wall.

Evan finally woke at 12:30 or so, and we were giving him some Pedialyte through his g-button to see how he would handle clear liquids after the anesthesia. He did great, but wanted to go back to sleep. I held him while he napped, and waited until the recovery nurses said it was okay for us to go home.

Finally, just past 2 PM, we were heading out the door.

By 2:45, we were home, and Evan was sleeping a little more comfortably. I set up a 1/2 feed, slightly diluted, and he handled it great.
We just sat and snoozed until dad came home, and I went to pick up Evan's pain medications.

He did great on his full feed at 6, and we were VERY grateful for the pain meds, because everything had worn off at that point, and he was ready for some relief. I've made sure to give him his meds every 4 hours since then, and he's been feeling pretty good... He's sleeping more than usual, and waking up more often for brief spaces of time. But that's to be expected, with the excitement of yesterday and recovery, and the pain medication.

Today is all about rest and relaxation for Evan, and if I can get a nap too... Well, that would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment